ADN 150/173 Agenda, Handout
Lehigh Carbon Community College- Rothrock Library
Intro to Information Research for Nursing Students
ADN 150/173; NUR 106
lifelong, independent, critically thinking learners
best research + expertise + patient’s values à best decisions for patient’s care
professional literature written by nurses, written for nurses, peer-reviewed by nurses
1. Library catalog subject search: diabetes (books, ebooks, DVDs, streaming videos, etc.)
2. Select an appropriate database (scholarly journals, trade publications, magazines, newspapers, ebooks, etc.)
· Health Source: Nursing, PubMed, ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health, Health & Wellness Resource Center
3. Select a search screen
· Basic Search screen searches citation & abstract fields
· Advanced search screen for a more precise search
4. Determine your search terms (a.k.a. subjects, descriptors, keywords, indexing terms)
· Use only significant words that are likely to appear in your document (mostly nouns)!
e.g., What kind of treatment is used for people who have a hip fracture?
5. Consider including relevant synonyms, related words, and variant spellings in your search
· fracture fractures fractured
· elderly aged older adults
· asthma respiratory diseases lung disease
· cerebrovascular accident cerebrovascular accidents cerebral vascular accident cerebral vascular disease cerebral vascular disorder CVA stroke
***Watch for better terms in the title, abstract, article, subject field, et cetera, and revise your search.
***If all else fails, first search for your term in the article titles, then see what descriptors those articles use.
6. Determine your connectors, if necessary
· hip and fracture
results will contain: all documents containing the words hip and fracture
· hip or fracture
results will contain: all documents containing hip or fracture or both terms
· hip and fracture and (elderly or aged or older people)
results will contain: hip and fracture and one or more of these: elderly or aged or older people
treatment and hip and fracture
7. Include special characters (a.k.a. truncation, wild cards), if appropriate
· treatment and hip and fracture*
fracture* = fracture, fractures, fractured
Some databases use a + or ! instead of a *. Consult their help screens.
8. Although imprecise, one way to limit your results to nursing journals: search for nurs* in Publication Name field or another field (NOT NECESSARY IN PUBMED)
· treatment and hip and fracture* and nurs*
9. Check your spelling!
10. Determine your limiters
· Search all dates, a particular date, or a range of dates?
· Limit results to full-text articles?
· Search a particular publication? Scholarly journals ? Trade publications ?
· Read the screen for additional features
11. Conduct your search
· The database will find all documents (either full-text or just abstracts and citations) in its collection that match the criteria you set
· (elderly or aged or older adults) and nurs* and …
communication, cognition, sleep problems, incontinence, confusion, depression, pressure ulcers, mobility
12. View and evaluate your results (a.k.a. citation list, browse screen, document list)
· Nursing publication ?
· Place of publication?
· Scholarly journal or trade publication ?
· Relevant to your topic? Fits the assignment? Long enough? Adequately complex?
· Up-to-date, considering the topic?
· Balanced point-of-view? One-sided opinion? Fact?
· What do you know about the author’s credentials? Can you trust the information to be accurate?
· Revise the terms and rerun the search?
13. If necessary, revise your search
· Check your spelling!
· Connect more terms ?
· Remove some terms ?
· Substitute synonyms, related terms, or variant spellings ?
· Change the limiters ?
· Change the search fields (e.g., subject, title, publication, full-text, citation & abstract) ?
14. Be persistent!!
15. Click on Help or Tips
16. Print, save, or email your choices
17. Full-Text Periodicals: E & Print
18. Paper periodicals
19. Publisher’s Web site? Interlibrary Loan? LVH?
20. PubMed, ProQuest Nursing, Health & Wellness
21. Nursing InfoGuide (http://infoguides.lccc.edu/nursing)
22. APA guide
23. LB109 bb,08/28/12