ADN 160 Agenda/Handout
Lehigh Carbon Community College- Rothrock Library
Intro to Information Research for Nursing Students
ADN 160 Meeting Adult Health Care Needs
1. Select an appropriate database
· PubMed – contains over 21 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. PubMed citations and abstracts include the fields of biomedicine and health, covering portions of the life sciences, behavioral sciences, chemical sciences, and bioengineering. PubMed also provides access to additional relevant web sites and links to the other NCBI molecular biology resources.
· Help screen
2. Select a search screen
· Basic Search screen - citation & abstract fields
· Advanced search screen - a more precise search
3. MeSH: Medical Subject Headings
· Determine your search terms (a.k.a. subjects, descriptors, keywords, indexing terms)
· Use only significant words that are likely to appear in your document (mostly nouns)!
e.g., What kind of treatment is used for people who have a hip fracture?
4. Consider including relevant synonyms, related words, and variant spellings in your search
· fracture fractures fractured
· elderly aged older adults
· asthma respiratory diseases lung disease
· cerebrovascular accident cerebrovascular accidents cerebral vascular accident cerebral vascular disease cerebral vascular disorder CVA stroke
· Watch for better terms in the title, abstract, article, subject field, et cetera, and revise your search.
5. Determine your connectors, if necessary
· hip fracture
results will contain: all documents containing the words hip and fracture
· hip or fracture
results will contain: all documents containing hip or fracture or both terms
· hip and fracture and (elderly or aged or older people)
results will contain: hip and fracture and one or more of these: elderly or aged or older people
· treatment and hip and fracture
6. Include truncation if appropriate
· treatment hip fracture*
o fracture* à fracture, fractured, fractures
7. Check your spelling!
8. ***Limit your results***
· Dates ?5 years
· Subsets ? Nursing journals
· Languages ? English
· Don’t over limit ! Careful with Ages !
9. Conduct your search
· The database will find all documents (either full-text or just abstracts and citations) in its collection that match the criteria you set
10. View and evaluate your results
· Nursing publication ?
· Scholarly journal or trade publication ?
· Relevant to your topic? Fits the assignment?
· Long enough? Adequately complex?
· Up-to-date, considering the topic?
· Need a primary source (first hand account)?
· Balanced point-of-view, one-sided opinion, or fact ?
· What do you know about the author’s credentials? Can you trust the information to be accurate?
· Free full text?
· Select articles. Send to Email, File, or Clipboard/Print
o Email might take a while
o Set up My NCBI – history, filters, collections, updates
11. Revise and rerun your search?
· Check your spelling!
· Connect more terms ? Remove some terms ? Substitute synonyms, related terms, or variant spellings ?
· Change the limiters ?
· Change the search fields (e.g., subject, title, publication, full-text, citation & abstract) ?
12. Be persistent!! Expect to try, try again.
13. Click on Help or Tips
14. Print, save, or email your choices
15. Full-Text Periodicals: E & Print
16. Paper periodicals
17. APA guides, web sites for reading research articles