Encore is the software that searches the Rothrock Library's online catalog. Go to the library's Home Page and click on Start Your Research to find:
- periodicals (magazines, journals, trade publications and newspapers)
- reliable websites
- DVDs, streaming videos, and other media
If you have a particular author or title in mind, or a specific Library of Congress subject term, click on Advanced Search and select from the drop down menu. Advanced Search also allows you to limit your search in several other ways.
If you select a print book, you may request it for pickup the next day at the Rothrock Library or for delivery to a center. You may also use the book's call number to pull it from the stacks yourself. Electronic materials are available immediately.
In this demonstration, we'll look in Rothrock Library's collection for a book about Benjamin Franklin.
1. Click on Library Home Page and then click Start Your Research.
2. Enter your topic in the Encore search box (we're using Benjamin Franklin) and click on Find It!
- the number of results in your results list
- the results provide basic information about an item and are sorted (arranged) by relevance and can also be sorted by title or date
- the icons next to an item indicate the format: DVD, book, eBook, website, or streaming video
4. Look at the information for the title Benjamin Franklin: An American Life.
- it's a print book
- its author is Walter Isaacson
- it's located on Rothrock Library's Lower Level
- its call number directs you to its exact location on a shelf
- it's available for you to borrow or it's in circulation, and due back on the date indicated
6. You can click on these options:
- Request it (to pick it up at the library's Service Desk or have it sent to the front office at the Jim Thorpe, Donley, or Morgan Center)
- Add to cart, print or email a list of the works that you want to pull from the shelves yourself
7. Click on the title of a work to see its place of publication, publisher, and copyright date. If it's a book, you'll see the number of pages and its Library of Congress subject terms. You may sometimes see a table of contents and a summary.
8. Return to the results list. The options along the left side of the screen allow you to limit your results in the many ways indicated.
9. DVDs and videos are located on Rothrock Library's Upper Level in LB 109, the Media Periodicals Room.